Why Do We Do It?!

 It's not all doom and gloom, honest!

Here is something I wrote, I think many of us have been here at least once......

Why Do We Do It?!

I had to attend the party, to refuse it would be rude
Even though the thought of it had put me in a mood.
It was their annual party so I guess just once a year
I could slap on a smile whilst I guzzled down their beer.

I know their neighbour Jim would go, he was a funny chap
But his Father always got so drunk he'd want me on his lap!
I got out of the car and up the drive I slowly went
And was greeted by son David who thought he was heaven sent.

"Have a tasty vol au vent, they're really quite terrific,"
I bit into the flaky mess which actually was horrific!
I chewed a bit and suddenly the mass began to clog,
I spat it out and luckily along came David's dog.

Oh this is going well, why had I been so apprehensive?
And then I saw old Mr Roberts on the charm offensive.
I needed a stiff drink and I wasn't fussed which one
But all they had was Malibu, cheap Vodka and Blue Nun.

In came Stella Ponsonby whose voice was always hoarse,
I think she'd lost about four stone since her messy divorce.
We chatted for a while but then she set her eye on Peter
But that would only end in tears as he was such a cheater.

Barbara was in full swing dancing to Bay City Rollers
While the kids were in the corner rowing over the controllers.
I turned and spotted Jane from out the corner of my eye,
Rather than converse with her I'd rather watch paint dry!

I made a hurried exit and dashed outside to hide
But in my haste I broke my heel, oh Lord I could've died!
I sat there on the garden bench with hot and reddened face,
Oh why did I agree to come to such an awful place?!

I felt the time had finally come when I could slip away,
No-one could have offered me enough hard cash to stay.
"I hope you had a lovely time, come again my dear,"
"Oh yes," I said, "a lovely time, see you both next year!"

Comments

  1. OMG I think most of us have been to at least one of those parties over the years πŸ˜‚ I refuse to go now. We stick to just meeting up with old friends occasionally... Much less frazzling of the nerves 😁 Another lovely poem George x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🀣 Quite right, I refuse too! I think as you get older you realise you don’t have to do these things out of obligation any more. Absolutely, we must look after our nerves!! Thank you very much x

      Delete
  2. Ah yes! I think this will resonate with many of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, never again though! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You